Falling asleep on a cold night can be challenging. Turning up the thermostat may help keep your bedroom warm but that will be at the expense of your power bills. An electric heated blanket can help you get the snuggly warmth on that freezing winter night. If you are shopping for one, then here are the best heated blankets for adults.
Before looking at the list, it is first important to understand the advantages of electric blankets and the types available currently. The advantages using a heated blanket include:
- Better sleep as you enjoy a warm cozy sleeping space
- Saves on energy bills as you don’t have to use the thermostat to heat up the room all night
- More comfortable sleeping as you don’t have to pile multiple blankets to feel warm
- They are therapeutic and will ease your pain and body aches
- Heated blankets allow better circulation throughout your body leaving you healthier
- The available types of electric blankets are:
- Duvet/ overblanket which basically lies on top of other blankets or sheets
- Underblanket which lie on top of your mattress but under your sheet and warm you from below
- Throw blankets that are similar to your regular throws but smaller and heated
Now, what are the best electric blankets for adults? To answer this question, we assessed the available heated blankets based on the following:
- Controller- is it programmable? What advantage does it offer over others?
- The safety features of the blanket because of the risk of fires and other accidents with poorly designed blankets
- Material used and how it feels
- Ease of use and care including cleaning
- Results from real usage of the heated blanket
After carefully considering the many electric blankets available today, we came up with the following best electric/ heated blankets for adults:
- Sunbeam channeled velvet plush heated blanket
- Giantex electric blanket
- Sunbeam microplush heated blanket
- SoftHeat electric blanket
- Sunbeam quilted fleece heated blanket
- Sunbeam Sherpa mink heated blanket
- Biddeford microplush heated blanket
- Serta brushed fleece heated blanket
Here is how each of the above managed to make it to this list:
1. Sunbeam Channeled Velvet Plush Heated Blanket
As the best overall heated blanket, this Sunbeam channeled velvet plush electric blanket offers impressive features over the other heated blankets. When it comes to warming, you can choose from the 20 heat levels which allow you to go with the warmth that works best for you. You can also preheat your sleeping space which allows you to slip into a warm bed when its time to sleep.
There is also dual control that allows you and your partner to select different sleeping warmth levels as each side of the queen or king size is controlled individually.
Safety is a key feature of this blanket. It includes a meticulously designed wiring system and an auto-off feature. Now you can sleep with the peace of mind knowing it will automatically shut itself off after 10 hours and avoid overheating or energy wastage.
The channeled velvet plush material used is extra soft and feels very comfortable. Being 100% polyester, it is machine washable which makes it easy to care for your blanket.
- 20 heat settings that allow you to choose the perfect warmth level
- Easy to use controllers
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Dual control feature
- 5-year warranty
- Its price is a bit on the higher side
2. Giantex Electric Blanket
The Giantex heated blanket made it to this list courtesy of its highly programmable timer functionality. The mode timing function allows you to start using the blanket in one mode and set it to automatically to change to a different mode after a certain amount of time from 1-8 hours. You can start with low heat and set it to warm up to medium level in the wee hours of the night when it gets colder.
It has a 5 mode temperature control that allows you to choose what warmth level works best for you. Although it takes some time before it heats up to your desired level, the warmth distribution is impressive.
A soft polyester material is used in the making of this blanket which makes it feel comfortable when you sleep in it. It is also heat and crease resistant and coupled with great elasticity, it looks good on the bed.
Safety features include its low voltage heat function feature that prevents overheating and takes time to reach the set temperature.
- Highly programmable
- Low voltage heat function safety feature
- Soft material
- Even warmth distribution
- Takes time to heat up
- Durability issues
3. Sunbeam MicroPlush Heated Blanket
Another great electric blanket from Sunbeam who are the industry leaders when it comes to electric blankets is the Sunbeam
MicroPlush Heated Blanket. Its functionality is right at the helm like its channeled velvet plush counterpart. It has a preheat feature for heating prior to bedtime and 10 heat settings to choose from according to your preference.
Dual control that allows each side of the blanket to be heated individually will work greatly for you if you are a couple and prefer to sleep at different temperatures.
This heated blanket also comes with an auto-off feature that not only makes it safe but also easy to use. The ease of use is further boosted by the LED display with an adjustable dimmer and the fact that it is machine washable and dryer-safe.
- Soft and durable polyester microplush material
- Dual heating feature with dual controls
- 10 heat settings and preheat feature
- 5-year warranty
- More expensive than other heated blankets
4. SoftHeat Electric Heated Blanket
The SoftHeat brand is one of the best electric blanket brands available today rivalling Sunbeam when it comes to quality and functionality. Their SoftHeat Electric Heated Blanket is one of their best products that made it to this list as a luxury choice.
Ultra-soft microfleece material is used. The built-in micro-thin wires evenly distribute the heat around the blanket without compromising on the softness and comfort level of this heated blanket. Being 100% polyester, it is machine washable and dryable.
It comes with the crucial preheat and auto shutoff features that take convenience to the next level. The blanket will make you start looking forward to bedtime. The auto shutoff feature not only enables you to sleep without worries but also makes it safe. The safety is further boosted with its low voltage safety feature that additionally saves on power.
When you buy a queen or king size, you get to enjoy the dual control feature so that you and your partner never have to fight over the heat level as each of you can choose what works best for them.
- Low voltage technology that saves on power and makes it safe
- Dual control feature
- 100% polyester that is easy to use and maintain
- Auto-shutoff after 10 hours
- Can be preheated
- Does not heat up quickly at first
- Some safety issues have been raised by users
5. Sunbeam Quilted Fleece Heated Blanket
If you are shopping on a tight budget, then the Sunbeamquilted fleece heated blanket will be the perfect option. You get to enjoy
the unmatched quality from the industry leaders at a pocket-friendly price. However, it is not the price that makes this blanket stand out but rather its ability to maintain consistent warmth. The blanket senses and adjusts itself to deliver warmth that is consistent.
Of course, it comes with all the other Sunbeam hallmark features like the 10 heat settings that give you the freedom to choose what works best for you. It also comes with the dual control feature that makes it perfect for couples.
The controls are easy to use, and the blanket is generally easy to care for and maintain. In case you have any issues before within 5 years of purchase, you can get it repaired or replaced according to the 5-year warranty policy.
- Senses and adjusts to offer consistent warmth
- 10 heat settings
- Dual control for individual control of each side
- Easy to use, care and maintain
- Durability issues have been raised by users
6. Sunbeam Sherpa Mink Heated Blanket
When it comes to throw blankets, Sunbeam are also known for setting the pace with their impressive features. Their Sherpa
mink heated throw blanket allows you to enjoy the cozy warmth whether you are watching TV, reading a book or taking a nap.
Although it comes with only 3 heat settings, the warmth will feel as comfortable as what you will get in an overblanket. You can choose to have the heat low, medium or high. It is equipped with the ThermoFine warming system that makes its warmth control perfect.
The 100% royal Sherpa mink microfleece material used is plush and soft. It feels great on the skin and combined with the warmth, you may never want to get it off your body.
It operates at a low voltage of 18-24V which is safe and saves on energy bills. You don’t have to worry about it overheating or catching a fire which are common problems with poorly made heated blankets.
- Safe to use
- Soft and comfortable
- Easy to use and maintain
- Delivers value for money
- It has a short cord hence you may need to be close to an outlet
- Some products have on-arrival issues
7. Biddeford MicroPlush Heated Blanket
Besides Sunbeam and SoftHeat, Biddeford is the other brand with electric blankets that are trusted by customers globally. Their Biddeford microplush heated blanket comes loaded with amazing features that give its counterparts a run for their money.
It is highly functional with 10 temperature settings to choose from and dual controls for individual control of each side of the blanket if you are sharing the blanket with your partner. It heats up pretty well and has the warmth evenly distributed throughout the blanket.
The 100% polyester fleece material used is soft and feels great. An outstanding feature is the dual sided design. One side is made of microfiber while the other is made of Sherpa fleece and thus offers 2 distinct feels. The blanket has a light framework and hence doesn’t feel bulky.
Energy efficiency has also been taken to a whole new level with energy-saving technology and an auto-shutoff feature that also makes it safe to use.
- 10 temperature settings allowing you to customize the warmth
- Dual sided design with two distinct feels
- Dual controls in large blankets that works well for couples
- Auto-shutoff after 10hours
- 5-year warranty
- Durability issues as some users reported failure to work after 2months in some products
8. Serta Brushed Fleece Heated Blanket
The final product in this list of the best electric/heated blankets is the Serta brushed fleece heated blanket. Its high programmability is the reason behind its qualification to this list. It goes beyond what the Giantex heated blanket offers by allowing you to select a custom heat level for a later time between 30minutes and 12 hours. If you are going to sleep for longer, then this blanket will serve you perfectly with its extended timer option.
It comes with the preheat feature that will get your sleeping space warm enough before you retire to bed. It also has the dual control feature for individual control pf each side when it comes to queen, king and California king sizes.
You don’t have to wake up in the middle of the night to turn it off so that you save on bills and prevent overheating as it comes with an auto-off feature.
A blanket is not complete without a perfect fabric. This heated blanket uses 100% soft brushed polyester microfleece which does feel amazingly soft. It also allows it to be machine washable and dryable. If you opt for this blanket therefore, you won’t have to worry about care and maintenance.
- Even heat distribution
- Preheat function for an already warm bed at bedtime
- Dual controls for couples who prefer different warmth levels
- 10 temperature settings for a customized heat level
- 3-year warranty
- The price is on the higher end
- Controller malfunction may occur after using the blanket for a while
An electric/heated blanket is the efficient and cost-friendly solution to those chilly nights and winter when one regular blanket is never enough to stay warm. Although you can find countless heated blankets on the market today, most of them may be unsafe or end up breaking down within a short time. After analysis of the features of the available blankets and their actual usage, we developed the above list of the best heated blankets for adults to help you choose. All the best as you turn your chilly nights into warm cozy ones.